Wednesday, December 16, 2009

When Doctors become Nurses and When Nurses become Doctors


This is a complicated world, indeed. As complicated as the mind-boggling dilemma I'm facing right now. Three months from now, I'll be back to nursing school to complete some unfinished business. One year is left of me to finish my degree and I will make a major decision soon after my graduation (if God will allow me to): whether to pursue my nursing career or advance to med school. Undoubtedly, I will risk being ridiculed by most of my relatives if I pursue my childhood dream of becoming a doctor. In addition to that, I will spend most of my life being a social retarded inside the med school the moment I decide to grab that option. I'm about to start my NMAT review next week but I'm still undecided if I will take the exam to pursue the medical career or just to prove something for myself. I have been thinking that if I will not get a scholarship from any med school, I'll better leave the dream in the oblivion considering many factors that are halting me to take a step forward in the med school. It all started way back 2005 when the mass exodus of Pinoy doctors who made a career shift to nursing robbed the profession of medicine its usual glitter. I read one of the articles about it just recently, entitled When Pinoy doctors become US nurses. It tackled a lot about the still ongoing decline of college students' interests in pursuing the medical profession. I thought I was all alone in my struggle but when I read one of the very inspiring articles of my co-blogger, Aubrey, who is facing the same dilemma as I am, the glitter came back. Through her article entitled When doctors become nurses , I have realized that a lot of nursing graduates and students alike still consider pursuing the medical career as one of their options. I just wonder why the world is like this: Doctors turning to nurses and nurses wanting to be doctors. Perhaps this is what we call a battle between convenience and principle. No matter what explanation you can give, I still don't get this phenomenon. But what's important for me is I have my very supportive family who's always there in spite of doubts and worries to support me in my every endeavours. Maybe I will just wait and see how will I fare in the upcoming NMAT. I will ask guidance from God who knows everything that is best for me. Through that, I will surely know if I have to turn from a nurse to a doctor or stay as a nurse for as long as I can take.

No comments:

Post a Comment