Thursday, February 18, 2010

Opportunity Lost

When I got the news first hand, my altruistic side came to a sudden decision: I will volunteer myself for a day of blood-letting. I arrived at the venue at exactly 10 am, the scheduled start of the blood-letting program partly spearheaded by a local television network in partnership with Go Tong Foundation. I thought I would be the earliest among the early birds, but I was totally wrong. When I saw the number of people relentlessly queuing right in the middle of the mall's activity center, I was gripped by the fact that many faces are still responding to heaven's urge to do simple yet selfless deeds. Nonetheless, I'm also fully aware that some of them are there either because of curiosity or just to get the freebies. But I was standing there driven by my sense of compassion and my medical knowledge regarding the art of blood-letting. The procedure per se is not just a way to reduce our body's store of blood but to stabilize our cardiovascular system. A study suggests that bloodletting, which lowers the level of stored iron in the body, may reduce the risk for cardiovascular disease.
Unfortunately, this benefit is the one I wasn't able to achieve this morning. I failed the initial screening due to the fact that I'm currently undergoing a 6-month long medication therapy for my mild tuberculosis and I felt so stupid for I wasn't able to foresee that this might happen in the end. Of course, the antibiotics that I ingest will be absorbed by my blood and the concentration that remains in my system might be hazardous to a potential receiver. Nonetheless, I accepted the rejection in a positive way and looking forward for other opportunities for making a difference in the future ahead. I know God appreciates my willingness to share myself to others and although I have lost an opportunity, there's always enough room for a second chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment