Thursday, January 7, 2010

Surgeons Do Not Cry: Book in Focus


Click the image for more book details


"A doctor, or any medical worker for that matter, has to learn to draw a line between his personal emotions and the job he has to do, if he is ever going to be able to do it well"- Dr. Jose Tiongco, author of "Surgeons Do Not Cry"

I'm still in so much trepidation regarding the decision that I'm obliged to make for myself: to be or not to be a doctor. Needless to say, the financial issue and the length of time involved in taking up medicine are just too much for me. On the other hand, I must admit that my inner consciousness is stubborn enough in urging me to become a doctor no matter how absurd it might appear. During these trying times, I only need one thing to come up with a final decision, and that is enlightenment. And as they say, the universe will conspire to gradually reveal the mysterious puzzle that is life.I first learned about the magic of this book two weeks ago when a good blogger posted a book review for the same subject of concern. The book, entitled "Surgeons Do Not Cry" (written by Dr. Ting Tiongco and published by U.P. Press), is an old doctor's account of his ten years of stay in the premier government hospital in the country, UP-PGH, as a medical student, intern, and resident surgeon. And within two days of non-stop reading, I have realized that this well-crafted book has so much to offer as far as personal and professional enlightenment is concerned. This is not just an ordinary book; its a compilation of stories that matter and will last for eternity. Dr. Tiongco, for being an outstanding doctor-writer that he is (the book is actually a compilation of his articles originally submitted for mindanews.com), presented the realities he encountered while studying in UPCOM (UP College of Medicine)and training in UP-PGH that have molded him as the doctor that he is now. He carefully disclosed the harsh and hapless condition of our own health care system that still haunts our society up to this date. In connection with these, he also revealed his frustration for the discrepancy that exists between the theory-based curriculum of UPCOM and the actual practice that occurs inside the Philippine General Hospital. Through the stories, the author will make us cry for the gruesome condition of the poor patients at that time and laugh for his follies and 'misadventures' in his life as a starting doctor. But in general, the book is a literary masterpiece that will serve as an eye-opener for all of the people who will read these stories behind the walls of the top medical school and hospital in the Philippines. After reading his book, I have realized that being a doctor is really not just a walk in the park; its a profession that is not valued because of the luxury it brings to any doctor that will bring what he has learned to the Land of Milk and Honey, but for the lasting contributions it will bring to the poorest societies in the country. We should look at the medical profession in the context of the Philippine society and not based on foreign principles. The same should be followed inside medical schools, where medical theories are taught with the American setting in mind most of the time. For me, this is the best medical book I've ever read so far because it has made me realize that someone like me who has a dream of becoming a doctor should think a thousand times before pursuing this career. And I hope, as I'm already preparing for the NMAT, time will reveal if this will work out for me or not.

1 comment:

  1. hey at last I've got the time to visit your site.. lam mo naman life ng artista..hehe anyways the feeling is mutual, to be or na to be is the question. Just a few months ago my plans were already set and that is to take the NMAT and be a doctor sounds easy noh?! but when reality sets in, parang mahirap din pala for the same reason as yours..nakakaloka talaga..kaya I've changed my plans but not totally, at the back of my mind andun pa din ung eagerness to be a doctor.Haaay I'm thinking nga gusto ko bang maging doctor beacuse of the name and fame associated in becoming one or it's beacause passion ko talaga un..kasi naman everytime na I'm on duty nakikita ko yung mga doctors they look neat and smart on thier white coat..hehe ang gulo noh?! do I make sense pa ba..hmm siguro..hehe maybe I'm still destined to be a doctor hindi pa lang ngaun...

    Goodluck sa NMAT..u can make it for sure:)

    =hanna

    ReplyDelete