Monday, December 27, 2010

DFA, OWWA, and the Saga of a Dead OFW

    It's almost close to a week yet the painful wait for my father's remains is far from being over. The holiday season and the painstaking processes that my father's dead and already freezing body are just two of the culprits why my family's agony still remains at its peak. My aunt, who is in U.A.E. working as a radiologic technologist, is likewise having a hard time finding a sponsor who will help her travel directly to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, where my father's body seems to be waiting in vain. The stressful days and nights we are experiencing are yet to meet a final conclusion. For the record, my daddy died ofcardiac arrest last December 23, 2010 and since then, we are completely lost if his recruiter or employer are doing their jobs to repatriate my father's human remains the soonest time possible. I mean, with all the news I've been reading regarding OFW repatriation (I once read of a case wherein an OFW corpse took almost 2 or 3 months before finally returning back to the Philippines due to issues concerning the Philippine Embassy and the employer) I don't feel anything but apprehension and anxiety towards the possible time period it will actually take before we can get back our father's dead body. As recommended, we tried to contact an employee from the Department of Foreign Affairs (who we will meet by tomorrow morning) to help us hasten our father's repatriation. Together with my mother, we are praying and crossing our fingers at the same time that our appointment tomorrow at DFA will soon be proven productive and will help us connect with the Philippine Embassy at Saudi Arabia.




      We are set to go to OWWA as well by tomorrow to enlighten ourselves regarding the requirements and procedures that we need to claim the death benefits from their office. According to my research, natural death and accidental death will be covered by OWWA and the dependents will receive 100,000 and 200, 000 pesos, respectively. However, before anything else, the family should verify first if the deceased OFW is an active member of OWWA at the time of his death. You can do the verification and other inquiries through the OWWA 24/7 Operation Center or by going directly to their website. Here is the lik: http://www.owwa.gov.ph/.



    On the other hand, one should remember that DFA is the first destination to ensure the swift and smooth repatriation of the deceased OFW's body. If you're under the same situation as mine, maybe you can also check your relative's status on the Social Security System to receive death benefits, if there's any. Perhaps also check his/her contract regarding issues like repatriation fees and death benefits. On the other hand, I'm quite positive that God and Daddy are always with us and will definitely help us in every step of the way. OFWs, like my father, are living heroes who deserve the final respect and love upon their deaths. It's one hell of a process but in one way or another, I know we can make it and survive this ordeal as a united family. Please continue to pray for my father and my family. May God be with us always!

No comments:

Post a Comment