Friday, April 23, 2010

"Orosa-Nakpil, Malate: Gem of the Gay Subculture"

It was my first time to read a book that bravely touches one controversial aspect of our society. This book tells a story that deals with issues such as unconventional love, homosexuality, anal sex, and AIDS, all at the same time. But I didn't regret buying the book as far as the knowledge and eye-opening reality that I've gained from "Orosa-Nakpil, Malate" are concerned. Actually, the book's Tagalog version was first published last 2007 but it was only recently that I had the courage to take it out of the bookstore shelf, this time in it's new English version. I don't have the prerogative to make comparisons because I haven't read the Tagalog version yet, but based on Gangcuangco's recent version, I could say that his book can be regarded as a modern gem of pink literature. It's a story that will make you cry and will teach essential information about AIDS at the same time. I could say that the execution of the story was done in such a way that the readers will feel for the characters and eventually, will heed the author's call to stay safe against the infection which  has been linked to the BPO industry these days. Although some may sense a bit of predictability on the first few pages of the book, the story would eventually reveal certain twists and turns that makes "Orosa-Nakpil, Malate" a different kind of gay love story. This book has a captivating story that will make anyone cry and ask for more, regardless of sexual orientation. And like Brokeback Mountain, "Orosa-Nakpil, Malate" provides readers a simple glimpse to the bittersweet life of homosexuals, showing all the struggles, sorrows, and tragedies of a typical Filipino gay living within a harshly conservative society. For your convenience, I included some book infos from the author itself courtesy of one of my favorite Filipino blogs, Manila Gay Guy:


Synopsis: Dave is a young medical student who frequently goes to Malate. In Barn, a bar that houses a dark room, he meets the men who entangle him in a web of love, vengeance, and sex.
Louie Mar Gangcuangco, the author


        From the author, Louie Mar Gangcuangco: I wrote the story two years ago, when I was just seventeen. What inspired me to write the novel? It’s a monosyllabic word many people fail to understand – love.
         This is a tough confession. At sixteen, I have been splurging my extra  cash inside Malate’s premiere gay places. For more than half a year, I have had whirlwind love affairs that most lasted for barely two weeks. But things changed when I met him.
       We met at Bath. Ooh… I still remember how gorgeous he was. His eyes were hazelbrown. The way he looked at me was tempting. His physique was really sexy. But what hit me was his personality. His was unique. His was matchless wit. Best of all… He knows how to speak French.
       I loved him with all my heart. Twice we went out on dates that went more than the casual chitchat and dinner. We ate a lot. So much that even our souls took part in the banquet. I sacrificed so much for him, but after he grew tired of my youth, all he did was to brand me a “nuisance.
      That December afternoon, I cried over the phone, telling him how rude it was of him to treat me like trash. We met and he apologized. But the pain he caused me made me sit in front of my laptop. And words kept flowing on and on. The keyboard ticked… lagatakatak… for three long months until the third draft of the then-called “Orosa-Nakpil, Malate: Isang Kasaysayan ng Pag-Ibig, was created.
      Nine months seem like batting an eyelash. “Orosa-Nakpil, Malate:Isang Kasaysayan ng Pag-ibig matured into “Orosa-Nakpil,Malate Pagkagat ng Dilim and is finally released with a shorter title, “Orosa-Nakpil, Malate.
     “Orosa-Nakpil, Malate was evaluated by Dr. Jaime Galvez Tan, the former Secretary of Health; Dr. Valenzuela from PGH; Prof Leano from UP College of Medicine; and Dr. Destura from the National Institues of Health.

No comments:

Post a Comment